Skelton in 1829

Skelton Parish is about 5 miles long and 2 broad, and is bounded by Hutton, Newton Reigny, Greystock (sic), and Castle Sowerby parishes. The soil is cold and wet, rising from clay. The common, containing nearly 4000 acres, was enclosed in the year 1767 … Some of the farms are of customary tenure, and the rest are freeholds, held under Sir F. F. Vane, the Duke of Devonshire, and the Hon. Henry Howard, to whom the manorial rights belong … The parish contains three townships, of which the following forma an enumeration, with the number of inhabitants in 1801, 1811 and 1821.

  1801 1811 1821
Lamonby 244 236 274
Skelton 270 285 332
Unthank 215 235 252
Total 729 756 858

Skelton is a neat compact village, pleasantly situated on an eminence, 6 miles, NW of Penrith. The church, dedicated to St Mary and St Michael, is an ancient structure, with a square tower. It was covered with blue slates and thoroughly repaired in 1794 … The Rev. Tovey Jolliffe (see separate entry) has enjoyed the rectory since 1791. The parish school was built in 1750 by Mr Isaac Miller, and in 1817 was endowed by the Rev. Nelson, late vicar of Riccall, in Yorkshire, with £1000 … Three benefaction, amounting to upwards of £6 a year, have been left to the poor. The whole parish is united for the maintenance of paupers.


William Parson and William White, History, Directory and Gazetteer of Cumberland and Westmorland (Leeds: Edward Baines and Son, 1829)

Leave a Reply