Staffordshire is an inland county, nearly in the centre of England, celebrated, not only for its numerous and valuable mines of coal and ironstone, and for the extent and variety of its manufactures in iron, steel and other metal, and in china, earthernware, and glass, but also for the fertility and diversity of its soil, and the number and elegance of the seats of its nobility and gentry. Nearly all its once extensive forest, heaths and commons are now enclosed; and its mines and manufactories are chiefly confined to a densely populated district about fifteen miles square at its southern extremity, around Wolverhampton and Walsall; and to the vicinity of the Potteries at its north-western angle; so that the greater portion of it forms a highly cultivated agricultural district, abounding in wood, water and game, rich in picturesque and pastoral scenery, and free from the noise, and bustle of trade and commerce; except such as are created by a few scattered but extensive cotton mills on the streams near Burton-upon-Trent, Fazeley, Cheadle, &c., – by the large silk mills at Leek, – by the extensive manufacture of boots and shoes at Stone and Stafford, and by the traffic on the numerous canals which intersect the county in every direction. This highly interesting county is of an irregular oval figure, nearly 60 miles in length from north to south, and averaging from 25 to 30 miles in breadth from east to west.
[William White, Directory of Staffordshire, (1834), p. 13]
Aldridge is a large and well-built village, seated on a pleasant declivity 3 miles N.E. of Walsall, and gives name to a large parish which extends to the confines of Warwickshire, and is divided into the two townships of Aldridge and Great Barr; the former containing 841, and the latter 859 inhabitants. Aldridge township comprises about 3000 acres of land, mostly in a high state of cultivation, having generally a sound gravelly loam, and in some places a strong clay, of which excellent bricks are made though some of it contains small limestone pebbles, which have to be picked out by the brickmakers.
[William White, Directory of Staffordshire, (1834), p. 296]
Darlaston, one of the largest villages in Staffordshire, is situate near the Birmingham canal, 1 miles N.W. of Wednesbury, 4 ½ miles E. by S. of Wolverhampton, and 3m. W.S.W. of Walsall. Its parish, which includes only 800 acres of land, has increased its population, since the year 1801, from 3812 to 6647 souls; and has long been famous for the manufacture of gun-locks, bits, stirrups, buckles, nails, screws, cast iron articles, &c. Here is also a large bar-iron manufactory, established eight years ago; and at Darlaston Green, the Birmingham Coal and Ion Company have an extensive mine, containing several excellent beds of coal and ironstone; and a stratum of free stone, 27 yards thick, and 15 feet below the surface, which the Company commenced working about three years ago, and erected a saw mill for cutting it into slabs, &c.
[William White, Directory of Staffordshire, (1834), p. 330]
Tettenhall, or Tettenhall Regis and Clericorum, is a large and fertile parish, extending from 2 to 4 miles W. of Wolverhampton, and comprising 2889 inhabitants and 7551 acres of land, subdivided into four districts called Prebends, viz. Tettenhall, including, Tettenhall village, Tettenhall Wood, Compton, and Aldersley; Pirton, including Pirton, Trecott, and Wightwick; Wrottesley, containing Wrottesly, the Wregs, Dipton’s Farm, and Kingswood; and Pendeford, comprehending Pendeford, Bilbrook, Lane-Green, Barnhurst, Cronk Hall, Palmer’s Cross, and part of the Birches. Each of these prebends forms a constablewick, except Tettenhall, which is divided into two, viz. Regis and Clericorum. These hamlets maintain their poor conjointly.
[William White, Directory of Staffordshire, (1834), p. 286]
Uttoxeter is an ancient and well-built market town, pleasantly seated in the heart of a rich grazing district, upon a gentle eminence above the vale of the Dove, ½ of a mile W. of that river, 14 miles N.E. by E. of Stafford, 17 miles N. of Lichfield, 15 miles W.N.W. of Burton-upon-Trent, and 138 miles N.W. of London. Its parish contains upwards of 10,000 acres of fertile land, and 4,864 inhabitants; of whom about 3,500 reside in the town, and the remainder in the out-townships or liberties, of which the following are the names and contents: – Crakemarsh, 1066 acres; Loxley, 1735 acres; Stramshall and Creighton, 1274 acres; and Woodlands, 2419 acres.
[William White, Directory of Staffordshire, (1834), p. 761]
Whittington is a fine rural village, seated on a dry gravelly soil, 3 miles E.S.E. of Lichfield, and comprising within its parish, 766 inhabitants, and upwards of 3,000 acres of land, all of which is enclosed, except Whittington Heath, (338A. 3R. 1P.) on the west side of the village, where Lichfield Races are held. This heath forms an excellent sheep walk, and would, if enclosed, be very productive for the growth of turnips and barley.
[William White, Directory of Staffordshire, (1834), p. 468]