Nathan Arnison can be found in a trade directory of 1829 at Nether End, near Penrith, as a linen and woollen draper. [1 ] He moved the business to Market Place Penrith around 1831. He bought the shop from a William James who had purchased it from Christopher Crackenthorpe, a member of the Wordsworth family. The shop once was the home of William Cookson silk mercer and draper, and the maternal Grandfather of the poet William Wordsworth and his sister the diarist Dorothy Wordsworth.
A small bill amongst the Greystoke overseers’ vouchers, is headed ‘Bought of N. Arnison Linen and Woollen Drapers, Family Mourning and Funeral Furnishing’, and dated 27 April 1836. The four items, totalling 11s 1/2d, inclued the versatile fabric of cotton calico, priced at 1s. 6d, and 1 pair of sheets at 4s. 4d.  It is not apparent from the bill who might be the recipients of these items. Eight years later as well as a small bill for £1.17.6 a larger bill from N Arnison exists. To the Executors of the late John de Whelpdale it is for his funeral expenses in June 1844 for £123.7s.6d Among the 63 different textiles supplied are black and slate calico, ribbon, black mourning silk, crepe, silk and Barcelona handkerchiefs. 
Nathan Arnison, the son of George Arnison (1744-1833) and Elizabeth Topping (1752-1831) of High Hareskeugh (sic) was baptised 1 January 1796 at Kirkoswald . His father a yeoman and victualler of the Horse Heads Inn, Haresceugh . Nathan married Ruth Barra (1799-1870) in 1827. Two sons joined the business: George (1829-1883) and Thomas Bell (1833-1888). N Arnison and Sons appear in subsequent Trade Directories. Robert (1836-1916) was a draper in Sheffield. The other sons William Barras (1830-1896) and Charles Nathan (1840-1911) were principally solicitors.  Nathan and Ruth also had two daughters: Isabella Ruth (1838-1914) and Elizabeth who married Hamilton Woods, an engineer.
When Nathan Arnison died 27 February 1886 he left a well established businesss.  Those living in the Penrith area will be familiar with the shop that remains in the same place in the centre of Penrith today.
 Parson and White, Directory of Cumberland and Westmorland Furness and Cartmel (1829).
 Cumbria Archives, PR5/67- K 8, Greystoke Overseers’ Voucher, 27 April 1836.
 Cumbria Archives, DX 8/1/15, N Arnison Account, 1843.
 Cumbria Archives, DHUD/17/60, John de Whelpdale deceased, N. Arnison, Penrith, draper, 29 June 1844.
 J.J. Thornley, Penrith Ancient Church Registers of the Parish of Kirkoswald.
 Parson and White, Directory of Cumberland and Westmorland, Furness and Cartmel (1829)
 M Harrison & Co., Directory and Gazetteer County of Cumberland (1861).
 Cumbria Archives, PROB/1886/W570, Will of Nathan Arnison.